Thursday, September 11, 2008

Here There--> The Patrick Kelley Talk

The presentation of Professor Kelley’s work to me was very unique because he had so many different aspects of art all in one space. When first entering the gallery my eyes immediately fall on the large photographs that at first I thought was Professor Kelley’s artistic way of representing an eye. One thing that I found was exciting was mystery that each picture held. From far away the picture looses some of the detail but as I stepped closer and closer it was fun discovering what each photograph had to offer, because each one had a whole different perspective story to tell based on the relationship of the objects within the photograph. What was so fascinating was that not only did the exhibit have these crafted landscapes but it also had an interactive aspect, through the use of the flip books. For me the use of the flip books added the text to his art that he had discussed earlier in his presentation. As I walked around the room the flip books, represented the words to a picture book and the actual photographs were the pictures that gave a visual for the landscape information that was being displayed.
Not only was this presentation visually pleasing but the information that was being relayed to the audience by Professor Kelley was very insightful and actually gained a new level of artistic knowledge in my personal photography library that expanded my ideas about just how creative and investigational one can be with photography. I learned so much about how photographs can be manipulated and experimented with to create something that is not only pleasing and playful to the eye, but also mystifying and for me heightens my curiosity about the process and the product.

Renessa

No comments: