Monday, September 22, 2008

"What Remain" --> Sally Mann Documentary

After watching the documentary “What Remains” about the work by Sally Mann, I was really inspired adopt her ideology and photograph what I deem is most important to me. I was so intrigued how she was able to make art out of almost anything, especially how she was able to make art from the ordinary and everyday experiences that many go through. I think it was very interesting how she used photography as her journal, as she states the pictures act as a legacy. One of her techniques that I felt I could apply to my work is the idea that a mistake can turn out to be something good. I had never viewed mistakes in this way and it made me think about my own work in a different light. Rather than throwing something that I think I have messed up, I might be able to create something even more spectacular than my original idea.
After watching the documentary what stood out the most to me was Sally Mann’s way of viewing the world was through photography. Not only did she use her children and husband to create art but she also used this photography to let the world see what she saw. It was so interesting especially looking at her pictures of her children how she was able to use their personalities to make her photography speak and tell some type of story or narrative. Overall I was very impressed and as stated before inspired by her art because of the way she used photography.

No comments: