Monday, September 29, 2008

Negative Exchange

I also think that Dan and Anne's prints were the most effective for this assignment. The main purpose for this assignment was to get us, as students and artists, to think outside of the 'box' of our negative. To try and move away from what our original intention of the image was, and to morph that into a final product which may or may not be in a different direction than orignially intended. Dan changed Anne's large color image into a hand-sized black and white sepia toned image. There are two completely different feels for each image. Anne also took dan's distinct image mounted on cardboard with a title and turned it into a portrait. The meanings are completely different: I see underwater life in dan's image and it makes me wonder about our enviornment and the biology defining our life. When I look at Anne's interpretation with the girl in it... I see a teenage girl under water with a distant gaze in her eyes. The image was made vertical instead of horizontal which makes it look like a portrait. Ultimately, I see this picture as a girl lost in thought, wondering about herself and the future, trapped in a snowglobe uncertain about many aspects of her life. Its really amazing interpreting these two images so differently when they come from the same one. I believe this was the point Colby was trying to get at.

No comments: