Monday, September 29, 2008

Sally Mann

I feel that the most powerful line in the Sally Mann documentary was one of the opening lines, when Sally says that the things that are close to you are what you photograph the best. You need to photograph what you love. I adore Sally Mann's work- it is so real and simple yet so complex and classically portrayed. I think her landscapes and Antietam series are strong, they inspired my first photo assignment here. I also think that her family series was beautiful in indescribable ways, I love how Sally just photographs what is around her. How she can turn whatever we perceive as ordinary and turn it into something beautiful. I am a firm believer in the importance of family and being close to family. As americans, I feel that we have strayed from the family and moved more into the work place. It is very reassuring to know that people still do value family in the way that i feel they should. Her series "What Remains" fascinates me. I, just like everyone else, think about death and what happens to us after we die. Sally raises this question and answers it with the literal answer... what happens to your body after you die? It decomposes and becomes the earth again. It was interesting seeing that NYC cancelled her show, but I also must keep in mind that it was too controvercial on the anniversary of 9/11. Finally, what I love about Sally's work is how raw and changeable it is. She just rolls with whatever problems she encounters, or flaws she faces. For example, if dust or dirt get into her negative, she will just print it and encorporate it into her final image like it was supposed to be there. I think she is very down to earth and a realistic person. I believe you should photograph what you love as well... I just adore Sally Mann, her work and her ideas behind it.

No comments: