Friday, September 26, 2008

Negative Exchange Project

I think the most successful pair in the photo negative exchange was Dan and Anne. I think both sets of images Anne and Dan produced were not only creative and interesting, but had clearly formed ideas which were evident in their implementation. From what little I know about Anne and Dan's photographic interests and styles, I can tell that both were able clearly make the other's negative their own, which is why I think they were so successful. To me, it seems like Anne prefers photographs with people in them and Dan prefers to take non-representational, "abstract," pictures. It seems like each brought that element to their re imagining of the other's. Dan took Anne's large color print of two girls floating on inner-tubes in the water and turned it into a small, cropped, black and white print of just the girl. He then mounted on another piece of art work, which added an entirely new element to his final print. Anne then took Dan's non-representational image (I'm still not sure what it was!) and added another negative of a female face to it, adding a human element to it. The final product was very emotive and thoughtful. Dan's original print looked like abstract art to me. I was especially impressed by his addition of a title (a photo gram) and his decision to mount the entire work of art on cardboard. His final product was very cohesive. I really think Dan and Anne's artwork was successful because they each made the other's negative their own. Each of the two pairs of negatives expressed completely different emotions and were extremely different both in their techniques and final representations.

1 comment:

colby caldwell said...

Caitie: This is an excellent example of how I would like folks to approach response posts. You were insightful, and most importantly - super detailed about the WHYS and HOWS.